Thursday, March 22, 2012

Project 1

pictured above: rendering from Zaha Hadid

BIM Rendering

interior rendering

The first step I used in making my BIM model was to get the points at the corners of each triangular facet. I used an imported sketchup model to lift the points to the correct height.

From there I connected these points with reference lines and made surfaces to get the form.

The limitation with this method is that floors cannot be created from the mesh geometry.

I added height parameters to each point, and also a Z Scale Factor to control the overall form better.

Model with individual points moved up.

Mass with Z Scale Factor of 3

Mass with Z Scale Factor of 2

To solve the problem of not being able to create floor plates, I attempted to use contours to create a conceptual mass. However, the problem was that revit could not use all the contours above to create a smooth form.
I had to create contours section by section. In addition, I could not join them, so it defeated the purpose of being able to create floor plates in a project.

Pictured above is my parametric envelope family. The radius can be changed to be thicker. In addition, material parameters were added to the glass and steel.

Finally, I used the subdivide method to divide certain faces of the model, and added my parametric family to the surfaces.

Criticism: I found that using Revit to model a surface such as the Guangzhou Opera House proved to be a bit more difficult than other programs such as Maya or Rhino. In Revit, modeling a mass with many surfaces is not as intuitive as in other programs.